Interested in Joining?
Step 1: New Member Orientation
Attend the New Member Orientation after worship on Sunday, October 8, 11:45-1:45 in the Media Room of the Pilgrim Center. Lunch included. Childcare available upon request. During this program, you will learn about the history and theology of our denomination, the United Church of Christ, as well as the identity and traditions of our local congregation. Come with questions!
RSVP, including childcare request, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, October 2, so that we can plan for your participation.
Step 2: Reception of New Members
New Members will join in a ceremony that is part of our 10:30 worship service on Sunday, October 22. Note: We need to know by noon on Wednesday, October 18, whether you are planning to join.
Step 3: Participate in the Life of the Church
We welcome your full participation as a member in the life of our church. As members, we challenge ourselves to:
- Attend Sunday services regularly
- Deepen spiritually by participating in one church initiative
- Serve faithfully with the church in the wider community
- Give generously of our financial resources
- Aspire to a leadership role
- Tell others about the church and why it means so much to us
Frequently Asked Questions…
- Do you desire to affirm your baptism and to say, ‘Yes, I want to participate in the faith and family of Jesus Christ?’ ‘I do.’
- Will you resist the powers of the world which demean people and harm the earth, and do you desire the freedom to be fully yourself in Christ? “I will and I do, strengthened by your prayers.”
- Will you strive to deepen your understanding of what it means to follow Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior? “I will, relying on the Holy Spirit.”
- Will you attempt, by the grace of God, to follow in the way of Jesus as his disciple, to resist oppression and violence, to show love and justice, and to embody the work and word of Jesus Christ as best you are able? “I will, with the help of God.”
- As a member of the church of Jesus Christ, do you intend to grow in the Christian faith, joining in the dynamic movement of God’s people in this local congregation and as part of the global church by sharing in its joys and sorrows, listening to and learning from people older and younger, and by sharing your own gifts and perspectives so that together we may celebrate Christ’s presence and serve this community and the world in Christ’s name? “I do, by God’s grace.”
- 1. What if I can’t make it to the orientation?
Our next New Member Orientation will be later in the Fall.
- 2. What if I can’t make it to the joining ceremony?
We’ll have you join in absentia, then introduce you on a subsequent Sunday.
- 3. Do my kids join with me?
While all baptized people, including infants, are members of the Body of Christ, local church membership is for anyone over confirmation age (14 or so). Children are invited to join us for the orientation lunch and we would love for them to be with you during the joining ceremony.
- 4. What if I still have questions after the orientation?
Our pastors can be available during the week, in person or over the phone, to continue in conversation.
Membership with Integrity
By Rev. Dr. Benjamin J. Broadbent, Senior Minister
On October 22, we will receive new members into the life of Community Church. They will stand with others seeking to affirm their Baptism and join this local church making promises to participate in and support this fellowship of the beloved.
On that day, they will be asked to answer to the following, updated, versions of questions found in the Book of Worship of the United Church of Christ:
Further, I will make the promise, along with other new members, to try to live into the following expectations that comprise a “Member in Good Standing” of The Community Church of Sebastopol, also known as “Membership with Integrity”:
1. Attend Sunday services regularly.
2. Deepen spiritually by participating in one church initiative annually.
3. Serve faithfully with/as the church in the wider community.
4. Give generously, reaching a 5-10% charitable giving level ASAP.
5. Aspire to a leadership role in the life of the church.
6. Tell others about the church and why it means so much to you.
For those of us who are already members, we will be asked to commit to these promises along with our new members so that we might build together a community of deepening trust, faithful commitment, and palpable joy.
Please contact the church office or call the office at 707.823.2484 if you have any questions.